turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my state income tax 0 if im in the military dont i still do state income taxes or just federal

my state of resdience is Arkansas
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why is my state income tax 0 if im in the military dont i still do state income taxes or just federal

Military personnel: (Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force, Merchant Marine, and Coast Guard) who were residents of Arkansas upon entering military service remain residents of Arkansas for income tax purposes. Regardless of the period of absence or where you are stationed, if you were a resident of Arkansas when you entered the military, you remain a resident of Arkansas for tax purposes. In most cases, you do not change your state of residency if the only reason you are no longer residing there is because of military orders.

If Arkansas is your Home of Record and you are stationed outside the State of Arkansas, you are still required to file an AR1000F Instructions reporting all of your income, including U.S. Military Compensation. However, military compensation is exempt from Arkansas tax beginning in tax year 2014. (If you are stationed in Arkansas and your Home of Record is another state, Arkansas does not tax your U.S. Military Compensation.)  Active Duty includes all members of the armed services, including the National Guard and Reserve Units.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Military personnel: (Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force, Merchant Marine, and Coast Guard) who were residents of Arkansas upon entering military service remain residents of Arkansas for income tax purposes. Regardless of the period of absence or where you are stationed, if you were a resident of Arkansas when you entered the military, you remain a resident of Arkansas for tax purposes. In most cases, you do not change your state of residency if the only reason you are no longer residing there is because of military orders.

If Arkansas is your Home of Record and you are stationed outside the State of Arkansas, you are still required to file an AR1000F Instructions reporting all of your income, including U.S. Military Compensation. However, military compensation is exempt from Arkansas tax beginning in tax year 2014. (If you are stationed in Arkansas and your Home of Record is another state, Arkansas does not tax your U.S. Military Compensation.)  Active Duty includes all members of the armed services, including the National Guard and Reserve Units.

EricZ

Yes, you must file an Arkansas state income tax return as well as your federal income tax return.  Currently there are 9 states without an income tax, and Arkansas is not one of them.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies