turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jay7691

My taxes are telling me I owe over $13k to the state of California

I havent lived in California for a good few years, never had an issue with taxes, until this year, went to knock out filing, and it tells me I OWE money to the state. Looking up on the IRS site that military on PCS Orders are considered nonresidents and dont have to file state, but TurboTax wont let me complete filing my taxes until I pay what I owe. Please Help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can delete the state return if you are sure you don't need to file it. Just go to the state section in TurboTax and there should be an option to delete the California return before you start reviewing it. Then you should be able to file your federal return.

Also, you need to indicate in the personal information section that you were in the military.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
spencerj

Similar question along same line of legal considerations:

I am military, resident of TX.  Spouse is non-mil, and allowed to choose my resident state as hers.  We are stationed in NC.  She has a job in NC.  Do we need to file NC state taxes or just press on and ignore the apps warnings?  If yes, then how do I make sure on the app/website while doing the state taxes is only accounting for HER income and not my military non taxable income?  Currently the app is not very specific on these considerations.  Thanks in advance.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Your state tax filing requirements depend on your military Home of Record, typically where you lived when you joined the military.   What is showing in the state section of your DFAS W-2 (Boxes 15-17)?

Based on the information you provided, it appears you used to be a resident of CA but then left and returned as a military member on PCS orders.  Were you living in CA when you entered the military? Or, did you become a resident of another state and then join the military?  

If you joined the military as a resident of another state (not CA), then you have to carefully answer the questions in the Personal Interview to make sure TurboTax knows how to treat your income for state tax purposes.

Active-duty military are considered to live in their state HOR no matter where they are stationed. Their state HOR is typically their state of residence when entering the military.. Their active-duty pay is considered to be earned in their state HOR.  

When you complete the My Info Personal Interview: 

1. Select your state HOR as your state of residence; 

2. Answer "No" when asked if you "Lived in another state in 2020?" That question only applies if you changed your state of residence in 2020. 

3. When asked if you "Earned money in another state?", answer "No" (unless the military member had non-military income in the state where you are stationed). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies