Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is under the title of the home his sisther owns and lives in. She doesn't want to report the interest in her taxes. Can my husban report them, how will this affect us?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My husband is under the title of the home his sisther owns and lives in. She doesn't want to report the interest in her taxes. Can my husban report them, how will this affect us?

NO.

Your husband could report the mortgage interest if his name is on the loan and he has an interest in the property as his home or second home.

Even though your husband is on the title of the home, if he is not on the mortgage loan, and/or he is not making the payments, he cannot claim the interest as a deduction on his return.

CLICK HERE for IRS information on the home mortgage interest deduction

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

NO.

Your husband could report the mortgage interest if his name is on the loan and he has an interest in the property as his home or second home.

Even though your husband is on the title of the home, if he is not on the mortgage loan, and/or he is not making the payments, he cannot claim the interest as a deduction on his return.

CLICK HERE for IRS information on the home mortgage interest deduction

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies