turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mconrad12

My husband and I are both National Guard. For "Where were you stationed," I select the state and it wants a reason for the move. We didn't PCS or TDY. What do I select?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

My husband and I are both National Guard. For "Where were you stationed," I select the state and it wants a reason for the move. We didn't PCS or TDY. What do I select?

Did you enter your State of Residence when you first entered your personal information?

To edit your Personal Info in TurboTax:

1. Open your return.
  2. Enter personal information in the Search box.
  3. Click on jump to personal information link.  Or Click on My info tab in left-hand column.
  4. You can Edit your name, address, filing status, etc., on your Personal info summary page.

Home of Record. Your home of record is the state recorded by the military as your home when you were enlisted, appointed, commissioned, inducted, or ordered in a tour of active duty. This is often the state you should continue to use as your tax home as you move from state to state (or overseas) on military orders.

State of Legal Residency. Your state of legal residency (SLR) is your "Home of Record," unless you changed it to another state. Changing the state on your paycheck records doesn't change your SLR.

To change the SLR, a DD Form 2058 must be submitted to your local finance officer and accepted.

From a tax standpoint, your State of Legal Residency (SLR) is considered your "domicile" or "resident" state as long as you are on active duty. Even if you are stationed in another state, you’re still considered a resident of your SLR.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mconrad12

Thank you for that info! However, I have my resident state listed correctly, and checked no for the question of if I lived in another state in 2023. It still wants me to input where I was stationed and why I moved.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Where it asks where you were stationed, leave that area blank.  If there is an error message, just put in the same state and then indicate that it is the permanent change of station. This should pass at this point.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies