turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nissa2015

If me and my husband are filling jointly do i have to add his w2 on my tax return? Because he is military it just asked me for his info but not w2

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

If me and my husband are filling jointly do i have to add his w2 on my tax return? Because he is military it just asked me for his info but not w2

For a married couple to file separately, is the most costly way to file tax-wise. When a married couple files separately they both "automatically" disqualify themselves for a number of deductions and credits they qualify for if filing joint.

So when filing a joint return, it's not "my" tax return. It's "our" tax return. You must include all income from all sources for both of you on that one tax return.

When you start the tax return you begin with the "my info" section. Work through that section again in it's entirety and make sure you indicate you are married and that  you *DO* want to file a joint tax return. Then when you get to the income section it will ask for the income for each of you, one of you at a time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies