Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1024pepsi

I'm in the military. The state where I'm stationed has a state tax. Does my wife have to pay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

I'm in the military. The state where I'm stationed has a state tax. Does my wife have to pay?

While you and your spouse are in a state for military service, you are both protected by the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act  (MSRRA) which means neither you nor your spouse is required to pay state income taxes in the state where you are stationed.  This can change if your spouse was already a resident of that state prior to you being stationed there.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JulieH1

While you and your spouse are in a state for military service, you are both protected by the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act  (MSRRA) which means neither you nor your spouse is required to pay state income taxes in the state where you are stationed.  This can change if your spouse was already a resident of that state prior to you being stationed there.

1024pepsi

I appreciated the answer up at the top from what seems to be a professional.  There's no need to just throw random links onto the answer.  I was looking for an answer, SweetieJean, not a reading assignment.

We link to official sources so that you know the answer is correct.
1024pepsi

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies