Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vrose1997

I'm in the military and married. My home of record is in California, but I am currently stationed in Virginia. Because California has community property laws, but Virginia doesn't, what state would I fall under?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I'm in the military and married. My home of record is in California, but I am currently stationed in Virginia. Because California has community property laws, but Virginia doesn't, what state would I fall under?

As an active-duty member of the U.S. military, you continue to be subject to the tax (and property) laws of CA, no matter where you are stationed. In this case, that includes CA laws regarding community property.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

As an active-duty member of the U.S. military, you continue to be subject to the tax (and property) laws of CA, no matter where you are stationed. In this case, that includes CA laws regarding community property.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies