Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m active duty military I’m stationed in San Diego California. My home of record is West Virginia, for some reason it is saying I owe 494$ in state taxes. But as far as I am aware active du

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I’m active duty military I’m stationed in San Diego California. My home of record is West Virginia, for some reason it is saying I owe 494$ in state taxes. But as far as I am aware active du

Active duty military pay is nontaxable in West Virginia. If you required filing your tax return, file as a nonresident.
If legal residence was in West Virginia at the time the individual entered military service, assignment to duty outside the state does not change West Virginia residency status. The taxpayer files as a resident unless he or she did not maintain a physical presence in West Virginia for more than 30 days during the taxable year. 
Nonresidents Individuals are required to file:
• If they receive any West Virginia-source income while a nonresident, and
• If West Virginia AGI is greater than the allowable deduction for personal exemptions ($2,000 per exemption or $500 if zero exemptions are claimed).

Servicemembers who are domiciled outside of California (CA) remains nonresident, even when stationed in California. As such, they are subject to tax on only CA source income.

If you don't have income received from California source while a nonresident you don't have to file California state tax return.

How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

[Edited 02/01/2018 [12:20 pm]]

View solution in original post

5 Replies

What is your question?

Why am I being charged the 494$. I seen it says that I need to fill in a box stating that I was physically in West Virginia for less than 30 days last year but cannot find the box with the instructions I received

How do I preview my TurboTax Online return before filing? <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302322">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302322</a>
tom17

Inherited IRA RMD

Active duty military pay is nontaxable in West Virginia. If you required filing your tax return, file as a nonresident.
If legal residence was in West Virginia at the time the individual entered military service, assignment to duty outside the state does not change West Virginia residency status. The taxpayer files as a resident unless he or she did not maintain a physical presence in West Virginia for more than 30 days during the taxable year. 
Nonresidents Individuals are required to file:
• If they receive any West Virginia-source income while a nonresident, and
• If West Virginia AGI is greater than the allowable deduction for personal exemptions ($2,000 per exemption or $500 if zero exemptions are claimed).

Servicemembers who are domiciled outside of California (CA) remains nonresident, even when stationed in California. As such, they are subject to tax on only CA source income.

If you don't have income received from California source while a nonresident you don't have to file California state tax return.

How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301384

[Edited 02/01/2018 [12:20 pm]]
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies