Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm active duty military and my wife works and resides in FL, with me but Turbo Tax is telling me that we owe our home state of KY, money. How do we owe KY anything?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I'm active duty military and my wife works and resides in FL, with me but Turbo Tax is telling me that we owe our home state of KY, money. How do we owe KY anything?

Is KY your HOR -- then you will need to file KY return

KY is our HOR, and but Turbo Tax is saying that we owe KY taxes, but we shouldn’t. I’ve never had an issue with this before, and I’m trying to figure out how we owe KY anything, especially when we are a military family, with orders, and we reside in FL. Any word on how I can fix this issue?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If your wife is a Florida resident, you don't owe KY.  You are allowed to file Married Filing Separately in KY, and KY exempts active-duty pay.  If you see otherwise, set the KY return to paper-file, and don't send it.  
Since you are in Florida now, if there's a way to file a change of SLR with DFAS, take advantage since Florida has no state tax.  You can keep that residency, and your wife as well, as long as you are active-duty and not worry about filing state taxes.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Agree with @TurboTaxDanielV
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies