Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn’t owe Maryland last year…. I’m active military, how do I owe Maryland this year?

Also, Maryland taxes were deducted
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I didn’t owe Maryland last year…. I’m active military, how do I owe Maryland this year?

Maryland resident pay tax on their military income.  If you received pay for overseas service, you may be able to subtract up to 15K of that income, see below.

• If you are a nonresident of Maryland stationed in Maryland on military orders, the active duty military pay is not taxable on your return.  Any other income earned while in Maryland is taxable to Maryland.   Did you have income that was not military reported?    

• If you are a resident of Maryland, all of your income is to be reported on your resident return, regardless of source or where it was earned:  

Without Overseas Pay: File a resident return and include income from all sources.  You must pay local taxes based on the location of your legal residence (home of record address).  

With Overseas Pay: Must pay local taxes based on the location of your legal residence (home of record address).   May subtract up to $15,000 in military pay earned while outside of the           US boundaries or possessions.   If total military pay exceeds $30,000, you cannot take this subtraction.

Make sure your SLR/Home of Record is set up properly in the Personal info section.  

Military Filing Information on State Websites - TurboTax Help

Filing Facts for Military Personnel and Their Families - State of Maryland

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies