turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am in the military and my state of residency is Pennsylvania. The state of Pennsylvania doesn’t charge state tax and its says I owe $507

What do I do to make sure I don’t have to pay that
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I am in the military and my state of residency is Pennsylvania. The state of Pennsylvania doesn’t charge state tax and its says I owe $507

First, are you serving outside of Pennsylvania? Your military income is taxable if you are serving on active duty inside Pennsylvania. Please see the PA website.

Next, assuming that you are serving outside Pennsylvania, please look at the following:

In the Personal Info section:

• Did you enter "Pennsylvania" as your residence?
  • Did you indicate that you were military?
  • Did you indicate that you were active duty on December 31, 2019 and answer the other questions that pop up related to be in the military?

In the Pennsylvania interview, not that you must manually indicate that your military pay is not taxable.

Navigate to the screen with the title "Compensation Summary". Note that your W-2(s) are listed in a table at the bottom. 

Also note the statement just above this: "Income earned by residents who are called to active military duty is exempt from Pennsylvania taxation. You will need to edit the entry and mark it as non-taxable to Pennsylvania."

If you entered a W-2 and earned that money while on active duty out-of-state, click on the Edit link for that W-2.

This will show a new screen in which you are asked if the entire income is excluded or just part of it. Following the instructions, and any military pay earned while serving on active duty outside Pennsylvania will be excluded from Pennsylvania tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies