turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Husband and I are active duty with LA home of record. Sold a house in SC when we PCSd to CA. Do we need to file a SC return?

We lived in the home for 7 years and it was never a rental.  Turbo tax is prompting me to file with SC but there is no tax due and no refund due.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Husband and I are active duty with LA home of record. Sold a house in SC when we PCSd to CA. Do we need to file a SC return?

Probably not.  You probably do not have to file a SC return.  As you state, you don't have SC tax due because any gain from the sale of home is being excluded from taxable income.  

Although you do not have to file a SC return, you still may choose to do so just so that SC also has a record of you reporting the sale and the exclusion of gain so that they don't ask you questions.  But you are probably not required to file a SC return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Probably not.  You probably do not have to file a SC return.  As you state, you don't have SC tax due because any gain from the sale of home is being excluded from taxable income.  

Although you do not have to file a SC return, you still may choose to do so just so that SC also has a record of you reporting the sale and the exclusion of gain so that they don't ask you questions.  But you are probably not required to file a SC return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies