Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file taxes when I made no income and my husband only received VA military disability which is non taxed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Can I file taxes when I made no income and my husband only received VA military disability which is non taxed?

No, you do not need to file taxes if your spouse's VA military disability is your only source of income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Even with dependents we are unable to file? 

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Thank you for your additional information about having dependents.  You can file a tax return.

To qualify for the Child Tax Credit, you have to include the name and Social Security Number for each dependent you're claiming the tax credit for. You and any joint filers must also include your taxpayer identification numbers on your tax return.

Additionally, the child must:

• Be your daughter, son, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or their descendant
  • Be under age 17 at the end of the tax year
  • Not provide more than half of their own financial support during the tax year
  • Must have lived with you for more than half of the tax year (certain exceptions exist)
  • Be claimed as a dependent on your tax return
  • Not file a joint tax return for the year (except when only filing to claim a refund of withheld income taxes or estimated taxes paid)
  • Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien
  • Have a Social Security Number issued by the Social Security Administration that is valid for employment

If you file using TurboTax, you will be asked simple questions to determine if you meet the requirements to qualify for this tax credit when completing your tax return.

Other disability benefits don’t count as earned income when you claim the EITC.  These include:

• Social Security Disability Insurance
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Military disability pensions

For more information, see Publication 596, Earned Income Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies