Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Student loan

I have an enormous student loan debt, $100k, I’m 54, with a 70k 401. I’m thinking of taking 1/2 of the 401 and applying it to the loan to help bring down the payments. Can anyone advise?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hermlover
Returning Member

Student loan

Absolutely not. If you withdraw your 401(k) you will lose 10% penalty, federal income tax and state income tax. I'll guess your federal tax rate is maybe 22% and not sure which state you are? Our tax here is about 7%.  In other words, you would lose 1/3 or more of your money to penalties and tax.  You can't "waste" that much at your age. Look for other options. Good luck!

Student loan

While I agree that a straight up withdrawal makes 'no sense', what about these options? 

1) talk to the loan servicer and see if they are willing to negotiate either a lower interest rate or a reduction in principle.  If the principle reduction is low enough THEN is MIGHT be plausible to withdraw the money from the 401k.  In this scenario, the principle reduction is effectively paying the taxes.  If the interest rate is lowered and the interest rate on a 401k LOAN is even lower than that, then taking our a loan from the 401k would make sense (but if you have left that employer already, this is not going to be an option)

2) consider whether you are eligible for a 'hardship withdrawal' under the IRS rules.  if you can avoid the 10% penalty, it MAY be an option.

3) are you still working? if not, maybe the best option is to default?  why continue to pay this obligation? this approach has it's downsides so best to discuss with a professional before executing on this option.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies