turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Other" debt?

I received an e-mail today stating my "debt in collections" went up to $238, when I had no idea I had any debt beyond my student loans. When I followed the link in the e-mail from Turbo, it lists the debt as "Other" with no explanation or link as to where I actually owe the money. Is there any way I can figure out to whom I owe this, or if it's a fraudulent charge? First image is from the e-mail, the second is from the Turbo website

image.pngimage.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

"Other" debt?

Hey there!

I would just call one of the credit unions, like TransUnion or Experian, and they will be able to tell you to whom the debt is owed.

I had a late payment pop-up from nowhere on my credit report, and Experian was able to isolate which account it was showing up on even though the account had been closed for four years.  There was a simple clerical error I had to fix.

Speaking with the credit union was beneficial for me. I would just call and say you believe there may be a fraudulent expense or an error in reporting, and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Have a great day!

"Other" debt?

@brianorwhatever 

Order your annual credit report from Annual Credit Report.

This is free once a year. You will be able to identify the debt more accurately with a name and address of the company reporting it.

Good luck,

Kristine

"Other" debt?

@CoachKristine  wrote:

@brianorwhatever 

Order your annual credit report from Annual Credit Report. 

This is free once a year. You will be able to identify the debt more accurately with a name and address of the company reporting it.

Good luck,

Kristine

Hello! And where can I order an annual credit report?

"Other" debt?

Can someone help me?

"Other" debt?

@bentriviani - I am online at the moment.  Sorry... what is your question? About what Mint/TT is showing?  I'm not a Mint expert or how Mint integreates with TT.  I'm a financial coach and IRS Enrolled Agent and help people in this way however. I would suggest you get your FREE credit report from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action   Start there.  Debt after a certain age is not collectible.  It depends on your state.  

I dont' know what 'other' debt is. That's an internal designation from Mint/TT.  It may or may not be an accurate reflection of something you owe or something you need to take action on.  Maybe google  "what is other debt Turbo Tax"   Use the words TT in your google message. That might help.

Check your credit report. That's really first.

Have you received debt collection notices?  If you've moved and your address is not current with old/prior debtors you may not have recv'd a notice.

good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies