turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jfrantz
Returning Member

Mystery credit card debt

My credit report shows an AMEX credit card with a 7,000+ balance, 14,000 limit and payments of $95/month for over two years and up to date. I have no idea of this credit card and especially a monthly payment which I show nowhere in my records. Please explain.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Jfrantz
Returning Member

Mystery credit card debt

The heck with a “badge”! What’s the answer/explanation?

Mystery credit card debt

I had this happen to me. I was on a relatives credit card account as an authorized user. Their credit was reported on my report to help build my credit. I forgot about this arrangement and no longer have the card. I asked the relative to cancel the card in my name and then my credit report stopped reporting the account. If this does not explain the account on your profile. It is possible someone has taken your identity to open an account. You will need to open a dispute with the credit report service to verify the account. 

Mystery credit card debt

You can get all 3 credit reports at www.annualcreditreport.com.

Some possibilities are:

• A mistake by one credit bureau (if not listed on all 3).  You can contact the one credit bureau with the wrong info and ask them to investigate.
  • You are an authorized user or co-signer on someone else's account.
  • Identity theft.

You can call Amex and ask them to explain.  There is a $5000 credit line that showed up on my credit report one day, so I called the bank and it turns out to be the overdraft protection on my Dad's checking account which I had just been made a joint owner of.  Amex may not tell you the name of the cardholder if you don't know it, but they may be able to help you explain that it is (or is not) something you know and forgot about.

If it turns out to be legitimately fraudulent, you will need to file a report with Amex security department.

edgarmatias2020
Returning Member

Mystery credit card debt

image removed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies