turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to pay my debt

Who can I contact to find out where my debt is from and how to pay it? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How to pay my debt

Only you know where your debt is from no one can tell you.  You made the debt who did you buy from or charge from who did you make bills with that's where your debt came from who do you owe money to???  You can only answer that not people reading your post. Who ever is billing you you need to work with and if you can not pay for it do not buy it or do not do whatever it is you are going to use credit to do unless it is an extreme  emergency.

Bees
Level 7

How to pay my debt

Here is a link to the IRS topic 203 for refund offset information. They will also send out a letter to let you know why your refund was adjusted. https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

How to pay my debt

1. List your debts. Take stock of where you owe your debts, the balances of these debts, and their interest rates.
2. Make a budget. Budget your income and expenses to see how much money you can throw at your debts.
3. Set goals. Strive to pay off your debts in a reasonable amount of time, so you can move on with your life.
4. Re-negotiate the interest rates. Credit card companies want you to pay them back. They want money, and  they want to help you find a way to get them that money. If it means a  lower interest rate, they just might be willing to do that.
5. Start paying them off. Start with the highest APR, it will save you money over time. Also, make sure to pay more than the minimum amount each month.
6. Scale back. Sell what you can. Cut costs where you can. Move into a smaller apartment. Take the bus to work. Stop eating out so much.
7. Ask for a raise. Re-negotiate your salary. Look for new opportunities to increase your income.
8. Make a side income. Start a side-business. Begin freelancing. Try blogging or making YouTube videos.
9. Put down extra money when you can. If you come across any additional income (such as an inheritance or bonus), throw that money straight at your loans.
10. Keep the frugal habits after you have paid off your loans. Keep saving your money. If you continue to practice frugal habits, you won’t be put in a debt situation ever again.

How to pay my debt

You can get all three credit reports for free from www.annualcreditreport.com.  You can then call the lender if you don't recognize a debt, to find out what it is and how much you owe. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies