Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For my daughter a W2 employee hair stylist in New Jersey.

Understand Federal deductions have changed, but what about NJ.

Especially commercial parking costs that are not $ supported by employer.

Most information is for self-employed or chair renters.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

W-2 employees cannot deduct job-related expenses on a federal return.  Job-related expenses were eliminated as a federal deduction for W-2 employees by the tax laws that changed for 2018 and beyond.  Your state tax laws might be different in AL, AR, CA, HI, MN, NY or PA.

Sorry---NJ is not on that list.

If you live in a state that lets you deduct job-related expenses, the information will flow from your federal return  to the state return, so enter it in Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Job-Related Expenses

And....the costs of commuting to work---including mileage, parking, buses, rideshares, trainfares, etc are never deductible.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I believe you are asking if an employee can deduct costs related to the job. NJ does not allow deductions, see page 9 of NJ instructions for employee expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Understood for NJ 😟

For federal, doesn't 2023 change allow deduction of tools i.e.. scissors and consumable less than $2500 to be straight deducted rather than amortized. It's never clear whether this is self-employed only but "employed" stylists incur the same costs.

Sorry---no.   There are no exceptions made for hair stylists.   W-2 employees cannot deduct job-related expenses on a federal tax return.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the clarification. :(

The many guides I have read online (Stride, Behindthechair.com, etc.) don't make it clear that most of the rules and guides they reference are only for self-employed / contractor stylists, even though in the case of BTC they show how to differentiate between employee and independent contractor/ owner.

BTC does in fact state that W2 employees may deduct workplace expenses, but that the total itemized deductions must exceed the std deduction and meet the "2% floor", i.e. be greater than 2 % of AGI.

That 2% stuff was only applicable to job-related expenses before 2018 on federal returns.   The tax law changed for 2018 and W-2 employees cannot get any federal deduction for job-related expenses.  Only certain states    (AL, AR, CA, HI, MN, NY or PA)    still allow job-related expenses for W-2 employees.

Sorry---your daughter has a tough job on her feet all day, and had expenses.  But the expenses are not deductible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies