Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

macluker

With proposed changes for re-finances on a house under $750,000 and a cash-out option, will I be able to deduct mortgage interest on my 2018 return for the entire loan?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

With proposed changes for re-finances on a house under $750,000 and a cash-out option, will I be able to deduct mortgage interest on my 2018 return for the entire loan?

Yes.  The mortgage interest deduction for 2018, as we know it pending actual instructional guidance, is as follows:

• Home mortgage interest is deductible for outstanding mortgage balances of up to $750,000.  So if your outstanding mortgage balance is $750,000 or less, all the interest is deductible. If more than that amount, then only the interest paid on the first $750,000 is deductible.
macluker

What if I have a cash-out option on the mortgage?   Will that be tax deductible?   I was reading an article in WSJ that said if any portion is used for cash out, the then whole load will not be deductible.  Is that true or being considered for 2018?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@macluker Even a “traditional” 30-year mortgage may not be fully deductible interest if it is a cash-out refinance and the cashed out portion was used for other purposes. I say "may not" because final legislation has not yet been written down for tax law by the IRS, for next year.  Acquisition debt will be deductible (money used to buy, build or improve the main home including adding a garage or other structure on the property) up to the limit. It's possible each taxpayer may be responsible for tracking any cash used for other purposes since the Form 1098 will likely include the full amount of the mortgage interest.
macluker

Thanks for the response.  very  much appreciated.
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@macluker You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies