Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will IRS check / audit your return for tax year filed more than 3 years ago?

I need to file a tax amendment for year 2022 for excess Roth IRA contribution withdraw I did in 2023.  That will be a small penalty of 6% for that year.

However, I feel that it is too much trouble to file an amendment for a very small amount compared to what I already paid.

(1) I am wondering if IRS will catch this small thing. 

(2) Can IRS still catch this after 3 years?  Is there any statue of limitation?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

the IRS gets records from the IRA custodian as to contributions and withdrawals

. Withdraw Your Excess Contributions

You won't face any penalties if you simply withdraw your excess contribution plus any income it has earned by the due date for your tax return, including extensions. But you'll have to include the earnings portion in your taxable income for the year. The technical term for these earnings is net income attributable (NIA).

You can still withdraw the contribution within six months of your tax return's due date  (IE by 10/15 or so)  even if you've already filed your tax return for the year.

amendment would only be necessary to either eliminate the penalties because the withdrawal was timely or you didn't report the earnings, if any, properly allocated to the withdrawal.

The other thing you have to watch for in 2022 is a tax credit for qualified retirement contributions form 8880.

if you got this credit you'll need to pay it back. 

if the withdrawal was after 4/15/2023 You must at the top of the amended return indicate "filef pursuant to section 301.9100-2" according to the IRS. The agency indicates that you should "Report any related earnings on the amended return and include an explanation of the withdrawal and repayment of the credit and other necessary changes

no amended return would be necessary if all these conditions are met.

1) you did not pay and do not owe the penalty

2) there were no earnings on the contribution or they were withdrawn timely and reported

3) you did not receive the tax credit cited.

this is because nothing will change on your return 

if you owe, then The IRS might catch this (it gets info from the IRA custodian so it can check to see if you qualify), in additional to income taxes there could be a late payment penalty and there will be interest. 

Did you get any positive earnings back with your disallowed contribution?

Did you take the money out before Tax Day?

If you filed by Tax Day, did you take the money out before Oct 15 2023?

@DatBio 

OP duplicate post.

see other post for dates.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies