Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MHH4
Returning Member

Why doesn’t my PA tax return correctly split capital gains/losses between my wife and I?

I downloaded 1099-B transactions on-line from my financial institution.  On the PA TurboTax page that asks who owns the gains and losses I select “Items had different owners”.  On the next page in TurboTax there are only two transaction groups shown.  One group for short term 1099-B transactions and one for long term 1099-B transactions.  Both my wife's and my transactions are combined in each group.  There is an opportunity to edit the gains/losses in each group.  However, when I edit, there is no option to split the gains/losses between different owners.  I can only select that I own all the transactions, my wife owns all the transactions, or we both own the transactions.  "Both" is selected.  As a result, each of our PA schedule Ds do not allocate the gains/losses correctly.  They show as if we both own all the transactions.  

I went back to the federal return “Form 1099-B Wks” and verified each owner is designated correctly for all the gains and losses downloaded.  It appears that the PA return is not correctly identifying and separating the owners of the transactions.

How can I correct this?  Do I need to manually override the values on the PA schedule Ds?  PA schedules A and B do allocate correctly. 

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies