Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ryaboye

Why does my Rental Property Sale appear under Sale of Business Property? The sale was entered under "Sale of Property/Depreciation" in Rental Properties & Royalties.

TurboTax carried this property since it was converted from residential to rental in 2008. I doubt that I used FMV at the time of conversion, thus causing the Business Property classification. Is there a way to tell? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Why does my Rental Property Sale appear under Sale of Business Property? The sale was entered under "Sale of Property/Depreciation" in Rental Properties & Royalties.

Your rental is correctly considered a "business asset" that is related to a specific activity (Schedule E rental).  The information on the sale will appear on Form 4797 - Sales of Business Property.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Your rental is correctly considered a "business asset" that is related to a specific activity (Schedule E rental).  The information on the sale will appear on Form 4797 - Sales of Business Property.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ryaboye

Thank you. Makes sense.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies