Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did Turbotax questioned me to be able to file and receive a Michigan homestead property tax on the property I rent. MI wants that money back.

I had followed all of the prompts and seem to have qualified for the Homestead Property Tax (actually my daughter's taxes).  She only made $4k in 2022 because a tornado came through our town and she was injured - but she had paid roughly $700 a month Jan - May.  Now Michigan says she didn't make enough to qualify for this credit and she has to pay back $504.  Any ideas?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Why did Turbotax questioned me to be able to file and receive a Michigan homestead property tax on the property I rent. MI wants that money back.

Did your daughter only pay rent for five months?  The Michigan Department of the Treasury website lists these qualifications.

You may qualify for a property tax credit if all of the following apply:

• You own or were contracted to pay rent and occupied a Michigan homestead for at least 6 months during the year on which property taxes and/or service fees were levied.  If you own your home, your taxable value was $143,000 or less (unless unoccupied farmland)
  • Your total household resources were $63,000 or less (part year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if a credit reduction applies)
  • Your total household resources do not consist solely of payments received from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When I did her taxes I had only reported the rent she paid Jan - May (5 months - but still the software calculated the credit).  She did end renting a different place at the end of August, that I didn't report (didn't have the landlords info).  When she received the letter from the State, I told her to call and let them know - my mistake, I missed reporting the last 4 months.  The guy she spoke with said it's because she didn't make enough to qualify for this tax credit.  Now they want her to sign an Installment Agreement to pay back the $504.  I can't find anywhere where it states there's a minimum that needs to be made to qualify for that credit.  She doesn't receive any cash from the state (I do believe she was receiving food stamps for a bit).

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

I can't find anywhere that Michigan has a minimum that you have to earn in order to qualify for the credit.  If you have been denied the credit there is an appeals process.  Check this link and then submit documentation supporting the deduction instead of signing an agreement to pay the credit back.  

@darrian6705 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies