Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why a decrease in federal due with sale of primary & rental property in same year?

Hello,

I am running mock tax scenarios to help prepare for our married-joint 2024 filings as we sold our primary residence this year (owned 10+ years) and will be paying LTC gains on the profit.  We are also contemplating selling one of our long term rental properties this year and when I input projected sale ($200k) and profit ($100k) data, our "federal taxes due" amount drops by $10k.

My question is: how would our amount due decrease if there is a long term capital gain on the sale of the rental property?

Thank you TT Community.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why a decrease in federal due with sale of primary & rental property in same year?

@steve2649 suggest printing out Sch D and reviewing it before and after you add the proposed sale of the rental property.  What do you have in passive losses? 

Further, on the sale of the primary home, I am assuming your capital gains exceeds $500,000, otherwise there should be no tax. 

Thanks NCperson.  Yes, we exceeded the $500k on our primary.  I am looking at the original SchD and the one with the mock rental sale and there are no losses on either one- all gains.

then do a side by side comparison of Form 1040 - before and after adding the rental property - something is changing with the AGI. 

if you had suspended passive losses on the rental real estate they are now allowed to the disposition.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies