Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tim02per

What line number do I fine the passive loss carryover for rental property on the Schedule E?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

35 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

What line number do I fine the passive loss carryover for rental property on the Schedule E?

Passive Loss Carryovers for Rental Activities are not reported on Schedule E. You will find the carryover for next year on Form 8582, Worksheet 6, Column b.

To see this form in your current year return, you can download your entire return (including worksheets) to your computer as a PDF file to view or print. For this option, choose My Account in the TurboTax header then select Print Center

(You need to log into TurboTax from a laptop or desktop to do this; Print Center is not available from the mobile version of TurboTax.)

Note: Passive Loss Carryovers are entered during the setup interview questions for your Rental Property (see attached screenshot).

Find this under:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Rental Properties & Royalties
  3. Start/Revisit
  4. Add a property or Edit an existing property
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@TurboTaxPatriciaV I thought the number show on Line 21 on Schedule E from previous year tax return is the Passive Loss Carryovers for Rental? E.g., for 2014 tax return, you can find this number from line 21 on Schedule E of 2013 tax return. Am I correct?
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

No. Line 21 of Schedule E is the current year Income or Loss, not necessarily the carryover amount. You may have other activities that influence the amount of Passive Loss carried over to the next year. The actual carryover is reported on Form 8582.

@TurboTaxPatriciaV When I export my 2013 tax return info into 2014 tax return, the number that shows on the Passive Losses From Prior Years screen for 2014 tax return in Turbo Tax is the amount shown on Line 21 of Schedule E of my 2013 tax return.

@TurboTaxPatriciaV Would appreciate if you cane get back to me with the above question again. Thanks!
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

It is possible for the two numbers to be the same. But you should use the number from Form 8582 in case they are not the same.
sumita71
Returning Member

Where would I find the passive losses on a rental property for my CA return....I assume I can't just use the federal amount from 8582?
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Look for California Form 3801: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2015/15_3801.pdf">https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2015/15_3801.pdf</a>
hatchde

What if there is no Worksheet 6? My returns from the previous include Form 8582. But it ends at Worksheet 5 with nothing more.
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Form 8582 has three pages, and Worksheet 6 appears on the last page. If you don't have that page, you may not have any carryovers from the prior year. You may wish to confirm that you actually did not have that page, either in the PDF you downloaded from TurboTax or with the tax preparation service you used.
cbrame

I have the same issue.Turbotax is asking for "Regular Tax Carryovers" with a blank box labeled "SCH E". I have schedule E worksheets on previous returns (downloaded from intuit), but no Worksheet 6.

Turbo Tax Premier 2018 told me to check 2017 tax returns Schedule E, Schedule D, and form 4797 for getting the Passive Loss information in the rental property part of the interview... I didn't see it in those three places... I did find it on my 2017 taxes on on form 8582 as the person who posted this stated... Seems like Turbo Tax has a problem with this, asking for the tax filer to look in the incorrect places for the amount... Somebody needs to tell Intuit to modify their interview information... Or is this a new, recent change in tax laws?  I plan to start a new thread for this to revitalize it...

My 2017 carryover losses are automatically entered on line 19 of Sch E as an other expense and  I cannot edit this expense entry during the interview . The resulting loss is then added again to the 2017 carryover. The 2018 carryover now contains the 2017 carryover twice. How do I fix this?

I have two rental properties that we also use in part as  vacation homes. Both have passive loss carryovers from prior years.  On one of the properties the program does not allow me to enter the passive loss carryover but instead asks for expenses not allowed in prior years that shows up directly on Schedule E Line 19? I believe the correct treatment is as a passive loss carryover on Form 8582----how can I get these entered correctly for the second property?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies