Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmbruen

Where do you enter carryover passive losses from a rental home on TurboTax online? I can't find where to input that data.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MichaelDC

Where do you enter carryover passive losses from a rental home on TurboTax online? I can't find where to input that data.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

To enter Passive Activity Loss Carryovers from a Prior Year for your Rental Property in TurboTax Premier

1. In TurboTax, search for rentals and then click the "Jump to" link in the search result.
  2. Click Start (or Revisit) next to Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)
  3. Click the blue Edit button next to the rental you'd like to add info for
  4. Click Continue until you reach the screen entitled Do any of these situations apply to this property?
  5. Scroll to the bottom of this page and check the box next to I have passive activity real estate losses carried over from a prior year. (See the attached screenshot below. Click to enlarge.)
  6. Click Continue
  7. You'll be able to input the carryover amounts on the next screen (See the attached screenshot below. Click to enlarge.)
anniexie
Returning Member

I don't see "Click Continue until you reach the screen entitled Do any of these situations apply to this property?"

I also paid and downloaded a full return for 2019 before filing. My carryover loss from 2018 of over $10k was not included. How do I get it fixed?

Carl
Level 15

@MichaelDC you forgot to include the screenshot. 🙂

Hello @anniexie , @lmbruen 

I had the same issue and found the solution.

On the rental properties and royalties section click update

Click edit on your property

Update your property profile

You will find the "Do any of these situations apply to this property?" in those prompts 

Bottom section is for carryovers

I had the same issue. i found that i could enter my prior year passive loss in those tiny boxes that appear (which look like check boxes) and then my prior year losses were reflected on form 8582. Clearly there is a glitch. i have used TT for several years but it did not carry forward for 2019.

jblassick
Returning Member

Is there an income limitation that a loss becomes a "carryover?" If so where do I find it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies