Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

egarrow11

Where do I report a sale of a rental property? I'm following the instructions and do not see a place to enter the capital gains. Do I need a specific version f TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Where do I report a sale of a rental property? I'm following the instructions and do not see a place to enter the capital gains. Do I need a specific version f TurboTax?

You may use TurboTax Premier Online to enter the sale of your rental property.  Follow these steps to enter the sale.

1. With your return open in TurboTax, search for rentals and then select the Jump to link in the search result.
  2. Answer Yes to the question Did you have any income from rentals or royalties?
  3. When you get to What are you here to report? select Rental property and fill out the description, address, and owner.
  4. When you hit Tell us about your situation this year check the Sold box along with any other boxes that may apply.
  5. Continue following the onscreen prompts to enter info about your rental property. Eventually, you'll get to the Review your rental property info screen. You can report the sale in the Expenses/Assets (Depreciation) section, along with any other pertinent info (like income and expenses)

You do not enter the capital gains directly, TurboTax will automatically calculate your capital gain or loss on the sale using the information you have provided.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies