Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rojasjh

Where do I input or report income from renting my boat in Turbotax? Is it under business or rental property...I have repairs and maintenance expenses to report as well.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Where do I input or report income from renting my boat in Turbotax? Is it under business or rental property...I have repairs and maintenance expenses to report as well.

What kind of boat is it?

The test the IRS applies is simply that the property has to have have all three:

• sleeping
  • cooking and
  • toilet facilities

If so, it can be treated as a rental property, reported on Schedule E.

If not, say its a bass/fishing boat, then it is reported on a Schedule C.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rojasjh

Hello and thanks for your reply...Its a recreational boat that I rent out from time to time ( about 4 hrs per customer/transaction)..So it looks like a schedule C. Now, I also had repairs and maintenance expenses on the boat as well as  travel miles (about 1,000)  on the vehicle I used to tow/deliver the boat to the lake. On top, I also had a major transmission repair on the same vehicle..Do you mind telling me what is eligible to be claimed as deduction out of these items and where should I input them in Turbotax?. Finally can I depreciate the boat and to reduce the taxable income? Same question, Where should I input/calculate that in turbotax? These are probably the last questions I have...Thanks in advance and look forward to getting your comments ..

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can deduct the expenses you mention but only to the extent you use the boat for business purposes. So, if you use it 50% of the time for rental to customers and 50% for personal use, you can deduct half of all the expenses you have. Any expense that is exclusively for the business you can deduct 100%. For the auto, you will list it as a business vehicle and report the personal versus business mileage to allocate the cost of operating it to the business.

You would enter the business receipts and expenses in the Your income and expense section of TurboTax, and then Self-employment income and expenses:

For the type of income to enter, choose Other self-employed income:

Choose the Vehicle expense option so you can enter you vehicle expenses:

Choose the Less Common expenses option to find the Assets entry  box  to enter the boat and major equipment for depreciation:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies