Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where can I find the brackets for Long Term Capital Gains rate?

Hi,

I used TurboTax, and it seems that my long term capital gain from stocks are taxed at 24%. I understand that long term capital gain is bracketed, but I couldn't find the info. I need this for future tax planning purpose.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@ ncknck 

I also added some info above and an article about the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax, if you are a higher-income filer subject to it.  Any NIIT can be reviewed on Form 8960.

Also to see how TurboTax calculated your tax, it likely used the Qualified Dividend and Capital Gain Tax  Worksheet.   You can review that worksheet. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Long-term capital gains can be  taxed at 0 % (lower income filers),  15%, or 20%.  There are a few exceptions for less-common assets.  See the info and chart in this article:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/guide-to-short-term-vs-long-term-capital-...

Also, are you a higher-income filer subject to an additional 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT)?

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/what-is-form-8960-net-investment-income-t...

@ ncknck 

I also added some info above and an article about the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax, if you are a higher-income filer subject to it.  Any NIIT can be reviewed on Form 8960.

Also to see how TurboTax calculated your tax, it likely used the Qualified Dividend and Capital Gain Tax  Worksheet.   You can review that worksheet. 

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

You're welcome.  Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies