turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When do I pay capital gains tax for rental property sold in Oct. 2024?

I unexpectedly sold a residential rental property in Oct. 2024 with a high capital gains tax.  When do i need to pay this tax?  What is the deadline for this tax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

To avoid a penalty you have to make an estimated tax payment by January 15, 2025 to cover the tax on the gain. Your final tax will be calculated on your 2024 tax return, which you have to file by April 15, 2025. If there is still a balance due on your tax return, you have to pay it by April 15.

(You might hear something about an extension for filing your tax return. But an extension only gives you more time to file the return, not to pay the tax. The final tax is due April 15.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The income will be reported on your 2024 tax return with a deadline for payment on April 15, 2025. Depending upon your other income and withholding you might consider making an estimated tax payment now. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

To avoid a penalty you have to make an estimated tax payment by January 15, 2025 to cover the tax on the gain. Your final tax will be calculated on your 2024 tax return, which you have to file by April 15, 2025. If there is still a balance due on your tax return, you have to pay it by April 15.

(You might hear something about an extension for filing your tax return. But an extension only gives you more time to file the return, not to pay the tax. The final tax is due April 15.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies