turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What to do with a 1099DIV received for this year for person that died the previous year? The actual dividend went into the transfer on death account.

My dad died on 12/21/2017.  He had transfer on death accounts.  I filed his 2017 return.  I received 2018 1099-DIVs in his name in Feb 2019 for these transfer on death accounts.  They have dividends paid in Jan 2018 before the accounts were claimed by each recipient.  The dividends on these 2018 1099-DIVs went to each recipient's account.  No cash/dividend went to an estate account.  Should each recipient file the 1099DIV in my father's name that matches their transfer on death account on their 2018 income taxes?  Turbo Tax doesn't want me to file a 2018 1040 return for my father with a 2017 death date.  I don't think I should put these on his 1041 because the estate did not receive these dividends reported on the 2018 1099-DIVs.  It is about $15,000 dollars total.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

What to do with a 1099DIV received for this year for person that died the previous year? The actual dividend went into the transfer on death account.

Do not file a 2018 tax return for your father if he passed away in 2017.  Each of the recipients of the transfer on death accounts should report the dividends that go with that account on their 2018 tax returns.  They should not be filed with the 1041.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Do not file a 2018 tax return for your father if he passed away in 2017.  Each of the recipients of the transfer on death accounts should report the dividends that go with that account on their 2018 tax returns.  They should not be filed with the 1041.

How does each recipient enter the 1099DIV with my father's name in turbo tax?  I have seen on this site leave the name blank in turbo tax.  Do I have to file a 1099 nominee from my father to each recipient?  Recipients are my siblings.  It is about $1600 in dividend for each recipient.  I asked Fidelity and they said the 1099div in my father's name is right and the 1099divs to the recipients are right.  I have my Fidelity 1099div for the account transferred to me.  It doesn't have the january dividend but the money is in the account.  Is it ok for me to just add my 2017 deceased father's 2018 1099 div to my taxes?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies