Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What happens to capital gains distribution reported on 1099-div? This cap gains is a large % of my income yet it is not listed on the Turbotax 2017 Income Summary page.

The info from my 1099-DIVs was downloaded from my brokerage accounts.  The capital gains info (box 2a) was shown correctly on the subsequent Turbotax page "...Picture of your 2017 Income."   So this appears to be some apparent confusion on displaying the combination of dividend-like mutual fund/ETF internal capital gains with client-requested sales that generate capital gains.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What happens to capital gains distribution reported on 1099-div? This cap gains is a large % of my income yet it is not listed on the Turbotax 2017 Income Summary page.

The income summary can't show every box of every form. It's just and indication of what kinds of income have been entered. Look at the actual tax form. The capital gain distributions from 1099-DIV box 2a should be included in the total on Form 1040 line 13. If Schedule D is included in your tax return, the total capital gain distributions are on line 13 of Schedule D. If you have no other capital gain or loss transactions, there will be no Schedule D. The total capital gain distributions will be on line 13 of Form 1040, and the box to the left of the amount on that line will be checked.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The income summary can't show every box of every form. It's just and indication of what kinds of income have been entered. Look at the actual tax form. The capital gain distributions from 1099-DIV box 2a should be included in the total on Form 1040 line 13. If Schedule D is included in your tax return, the total capital gain distributions are on line 13 of Schedule D. If you have no other capital gain or loss transactions, there will be no Schedule D. The total capital gain distributions will be on line 13 of Form 1040, and the box to the left of the amount on that line will be checked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The total income in the summary page should include all "subtotal" and add up the same as shown in 1044.  This is definitely a bug!
naabjoe

Agreed, and please have someone fix this. It's absolutely ridiculous to have this omitted from the summary, when it can be a significant amount of income for anyone with mutual funds. Yes, it's on the return, so we get that the outcome is fine. But the whole point of the income summary page is to show us what all we've put in so far. Add it to the capital gains line, or something. Absolutely ridiculous that someone thinks it's okay to leave it off the summary page.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies