Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What are the steps in TT home and business desktop edition to account for any insurance payment for a total loss of a vehicle used for both personal use and rental income?

The amount I got paid on the total loss of a vehicle by the insurance is based on the FMV minus the deductible on my insurance. The TT is assuming this is sales and asking me about the business portion of the sales price etc.  The payment I received from insurance does not even allow me to replace or repurchase the exact same car. Should not there be a deductible loss here and not a capital gain etc. to lower and not increase my taxes? What are the correct steps in TT home and Business desktop edition to correctly account for this vehicle total loss and insurance payment? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Good3
Returning Member

What are the steps in TT home and business desktop edition to account for any insurance payment for a total loss of a vehicle used for both personal use and rental income?

Hi, This is similar question to Nishi4939

Collision - damaged vehicle considered a total loss and paid by insurance company. Is it considered taxable income? If so, what are the step in TT Premier 2023? Any guidance would be much appreciate.  Thank you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies