Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What all deductions I can claim from my Single Family Home purchase in 2022

I read a good post that addresses the basic questions on this topic: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/i-bought-a-primary-residence-sin....

I have the following followup questions:

1. One of the answer in the post refers to "prepaid taxes". Can we deduct all of prepaid taxes part of Closing costs which is 12x of estimated monthly payments? And is that restricted by SALT cap of $10K or on top of the actual prorated taxes paid for the period of stay i.e. post closing?

2. Most of the answers mentions "points" in Origination charges. There is also another line item in my mortgage under Origination charges which is "Lender Origination Fee". Is this deductible as well or it's strictly the "points" that are purchased and categorized under Origination charges?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

even for points there are rules for deductibility rev proc 94-27, see section 3 for the requirements that must be met. if the lenders origination fee meets all these requirements it's deductible as points

https://www.sjsu.edu/people/annette.nellen/website/225K%20Reading/RP94-27Points.pdf \

real estate taxes. deposits into escrow )the prepayment most likely) are not deductible nor are taxes paid for a period you did not own the home. if taxes weren't paid for the period that you didn't own it there would be a credit on the closing statement for this portion. when the taxes are paid for that period by you you must reduce that amount by the credit to arrive at the deductible amount.  it is also possible that taxes were paid by the previous owner overlapping the period you owned it. then there would be a debit (charge) on the closing statement. this would be deductible. 

the cap for federal purposes on the deductibility of taxes on schedule A is $10,000 for any filing status other than married filing separately. this includes real estate taxes, state income taxes or sales tax (taxpayer's choice) and personal property taxes.   

Thank you @Mike9241. Looks like Standard Deduction wins for me then.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies