Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crehnberg

We sold our rental property last year. I went all the way through the process and it never asked the details of the sale. I can't find where to enter it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

We sold our rental property last year. I went all the way through the process and it never asked the details of the sale. I can't find where to enter it.

Within Federal Taxes/Wages and Income/Rental Properties and Royalties click Edit for the property, then click "Update" for Sale of Property/Depreciation". Click along until you get to the "Your Propert Assets" and click the one for "residential".  Click through a screen and on the 2nd screen it will ask "Did you stop using this asset in 2019?" and you'll see a list of possible reasons for that.  Click Yes and go from there.

If you have any other assets as part of this same rental property, such as appliances do the same thing for each of them but for them the sales proceeds will be zero (assuming the sales price for the property included all that stuff).

Oh - and a reminder - both the proceeds and the expenses of your sale have to be apportioned between Land and Improvements just as you did when you first acquired it and put it into Turbotax.  Only the improvements were depreciated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies