Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We have a judgement for 10,000 against our last renter for property damage and loss of rent where do I add this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

We have a judgement for 10,000 against our last renter for property damage and loss of rent where do I add this?

The part of the settlement that is for loss of rent is taxable.  Report this portion of the settlement as rental income for the rental property.

If the portion for property damage is less than your adjusted basis in the property, it is not taxable and does not need to be reported on your tax return. The part of the settlement for property damage that exceeds the adjusted basis of the damaged property, if any, is taxable as a capital gain.  Report it in the section at Federal>>Income & Expenses>>Other Business Situations>>Sale of Business Property.

Refer to IRS Publication 4345 at this link for a summary of the tax implications of a lawsuit settle....

Refer to IRS Publication 525 at this link for the rules on taxable and nontaxable income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

and I think the response assumes you received the cash for the judgement, which isn't clear from the question.

Carl
Level 15

Having a judgment and actually collecting on that judgment are two physically different things. You can have all the judgments you want. But until you are actually paid the cash, you have nothing to report on any tax return concerning this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies