Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RODMYNATT

UnSold Partnership Stocks

Re: Schedule K-1, 8949, Schedule D.

I've Unsold Partnership Stocks, and get K-1. 

Understand Gain/Loss use those items above Only when the stock is sold. 

Think one just keeps the K-1s for every year received while owned and used only when sold. Will all of the yearly K-1s be needed to file when sold, or just the last year? 

Critical terms need on 8949 are Beginning /End Dates & Values (Cost Basis, Sell Price), Adjustments.

Suppose those are some way gleaned from the K-1 items. Very confusing as the K-1 has None of Those Terms. 

Suspect the K-1 has multiple reportable, taxable values. 

Can you speak to that when a partnership stock is sold? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

UnSold Partnership Stocks

a private partnership would require you to keep track of your basis unless the partnership does it for you. if they do they would likely include a schedule with each year's k-1.  

my advice however is to keep the k-1's until disposed of. you never know when you may need to refer back.

For publicly traded partnerships I would keep them but them or save copies as pdfs.   when sold the PTP will provide a sales schedule that shows you your tax basis and possibly ordinary section 751 gain on disposal. using that schedule you'll be able to properly compute the capital gain/loss portion on sale. do not use the broker's statement because they do not track basis.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies