Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

unable to choose " Return of capital for fractional shares or cash in lieu: " on spinoff stocks

I had small amount of spin off stock that were sold by broker TD ameritrade due to very small amount. 

On the tax return report, the turbotax asked me " how did u receive this investment," 

The learn more highlights told me to choose "Return of capital for fractional shares or cash in lieu: " However, the software did not include this choice in its droplist. 

I can not proceed it. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

unable to choose " Return of capital for fractional shares or cash in lieu: " on spinoff stocks

THIS IS AN OBVIOUS BUG PLS FIX IT TURBOTAX! IT'S UNBELIEVABLE!

Screenshot 2024-02-05 145537.jpg

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You can select that you purchased the stock.  The instructions below will help you with cost basis.

How to Report Cash in Lieu of Fractional Shares

1. The IRS considers cash for a fractional share to be money received as the result of a stock sale.
  2. This transaction must be reported on IRS tax form Schedule D Capital Gains and Losses. 
  3. The date of the sale (when cash was received) and the date of the original stock purchase is needed to complete the tax form.

Tax Basis Example:  Assume a shareholder has an aggregate $100 basis in 50 shares of ABC stock ($2 per share), and the fair market value of one share of ABC stock is $66.65. Following the ABC Merger, the shareholder should have an aggregate $100 basis in 64.1 shares of ABC stock (50 shares x 1.2820, or $1.56 per share), and should be treated as having sold 0.1 shares of ABC stock with a tax basis of $0.156 ($1.56 x 0.1 shares) for $6.67 ($66.65 per share fair market value x 0.1 fractional shares).

Once you have your information you will complete the entry in TurboTax using the following steps.

1. Open (continue) your return if it isn't already open.
  2. In TurboTax, search (upper right) > Type 1099B (include dash) Press enter > then select the Jump to link 
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2021?
    • If you see Here's the info we have for these investment sales, select Add More Sales.
  4. Answer NO to Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales?  
  5. Follow the instructions.

@hyshen 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
criley

I am having the same problem.  Dang.  What now?

I spoke a rep from turbotax and she said she could not provide any suggestion for this content but would report this bug to the technical support. Not sure if the turbotax will fix the bug. It is an obvious mistake by omitting the choice. 

The bug in the instruction part. Your answer was about to find the 1099B for input, which did not address the question!

Peterkz

I have this issue too.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You received cash in lieu of fractional shares. Getting your tax return to correctly report the transaction is what matters. Above @DianeW gave the correct instructions for how to report this income.

One team writes the learn more stuff while another team programs the computer.  Our job is to get your return done, with everything in the right place.

@Peterkz 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lis6
Level 2

If you want to get the job done correctly, add  cash in lieu to the drop down menu! Haven't you noticed your customers have been crying out loud for you to fix this problem for a few years now? Get your writers and programmers together to fix it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies