My child's UTMA account received a 1099 form with capital gains. The amount in box 2a. is over $4,000. Do I need to report this on my return even though it has his SSN?

UGMA/UTMA accounts can be taxed to the child or to the parent. If a child has unearned income below a specific threshold, the parent may elect to include the child's dividends and capital gain distributions on their tax return by filing Form 8814. 

If the child's only income is interest and dividend income (including capital gain distributions) and totals less than $10,500, the child's parent may be able to elect to include that income on the parent's return rather than file a return for the child.