Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TX resident with CA rental property showing a loss - do I file?

I am a TX resident for 2021, non-resident of CA. In Sept 2021 I bought a rental property in CA as investment property, rented it for the remainder of 2021 and it shows a loss for 2021. Do I have to file a non-resident tax return for CA 2021 form 540NR since I did receive some rents paid to me or not, because overall it is a loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You might want to file a CA return if only to preserve the loss to be carried forward to future returns.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You might want to file a CA return if only to preserve the loss to be carried forward to future returns.

Carl
Level 15

FYI - It is not all that common for long term residential rental real estate to show a taxable gain. It's more common to show a loss every single year. Those losses get carried over. So your carry over losses will grow with each passing year.

When you add up the deductible rental expenses of mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance and the depreciation you are required to take by law, those four items alone are usually enough to exceed the total rental income received for the year. Include with that other allowable rental expenses such as repairs, maintenance, etc., and you're almost guaranteed to show a loss every year.

I would highly suggest you include that on your non-resident state return so as to show the loss carry over to the state. Those carry over losses usually won't be realized until the tax year you sell the property and they will then come into play to reduce your taxable gain on the sale of the property in that year of sale.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies