Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax says I need to mail 1099-B with form 8453 - but there is no Form 8453 shown

Hello:

Hoping someone can advise. Doing our taxes and we have one brokerage that isn't a Turbotax partner and so the financial info cannot be downlaoded (painful--this is the last year we'll have this brokerage). I didn't want to manually enter all the various sales as there are many dozens, so I chose the option to enter summary data. When I did that, Turbotax tells me that I'll need to mail in the documentation along with Form 8453 within 3 days of the return being accepted through Efile. Fine--kind of frustrating that you can't attach a file or something, but I can mail the info.

Here's the problem. Everything I see tells me that Turbotax will automatically generate the Form 8453 . . . but there isn't one when I check my forms. I've completed up through Federal Smart Check, so does that 8453 not generate til later (and if so, when does that happen)? Or does this mean that I don't really need to mail in afterall or maybe I do but there's a glitch in getting the Form 8453?

I see a Form 8949, but the 8453 was specifically mentioned in the message/instructions and elsewhere in Turbotax help and community posts. Any help would be appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Turbotax says I need to mail 1099-B with form 8453 - but there is no Form 8453 shown

TurboTax will generate Form 8453 when you go through the final filing steps and select e-filing. It waits until then because Form 8453 is not used if you file by mail. If you file by mail, you attach a copy of the 1099-B to your paper tax return, after all the IRS forms.

Whether you e-file or file by mail, send the IRS a copy of the 1099-B, not the original.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax will generate Form 8453 when you go through the final filing steps and select e-filing. It waits until then because Form 8453 is not used if you file by mail. If you file by mail, you attach a copy of the 1099-B to your paper tax return, after all the IRS forms.

Whether you e-file or file by mail, send the IRS a copy of the 1099-B, not the original.

Thank you for the quick & helpful response! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies