Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax is making me depreciate a foreign rental property over 27.5 years. Should it not be 40 years? I've made sure I entered a foreign address.

All e-filed, already.

Tax_Dale
Returning Member

TurboTax is making me depreciate a foreign rental property over 27.5 years. Should it not be 40 years? I've made sure I entered a foreign address.

This is wrong. As per lower down where they say it's 30 years. Why did you keep the wrong info? I know I should read all of the article. That's my fault. But why continue to include bad information?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

In the Property Profile section under Rentals, after entering the Foreign Rental Property address,  continue to a screen where you indicate 'Assets for this property are located outside the US' (screenshot).

Then, in the Rental Assets section, at the Asset Summary page, click on 'Show Details' and you should see a 40-year depreciation. 

@Sailor999 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Make sure that not only the address is correctly entered as Foreign you also want to make sure that this option is selected as well to ensure the 30-40 year depreciation.  (dependent on when placed in service).

Capture.PNG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies