Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dgadre

Turbotax is forcing an "Upgrade to Deluxe" even though I didn't sell any shares/stocks, i.e. Schedule D. Can anyone please help?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Turbotax is forcing an "Upgrade to Deluxe" even though I didn't sell any shares/stocks, i.e. Schedule D. Can anyone please help?

The IRS made major changes to Form 1040 for 2018, so TurboTax had to change what tax situations are included in Free Edition. Some of the things that used to be included are no longer included.

The IRS has simplified Form 1040 by moving many of the entries that used to be on Form 1040 to a set of six separate schedules. There are no short forms 1040A or 1040EZ for 2018. All 2018 tax returns will be filed on Form 1040. TurboTax Free Edition for 2018 will only prepare simple tax returns that can be completed with Form 1040 itself. Anything that requires one of the six new schedules requires an upgrade.

So Schedule D is not the only thing that would require you to upgrade. You must have entered something that requires one of the six new schedules. There are dozens of things that it could be. If it told you which schedule you need, I can give you a list of what's in that schedule.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You might be able to use the TurboTax Free File Program instead of Free Edition. See the FAQ at the link below for information about TurboTax Free File Program, including the requirements to be able to use it.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program">https://ttlc.intuit.co...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies