Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax uses a tax rate of 28% on my rental property income. My bracket is at 24%. Thought rent income was taxed as regular income. Any thought for the discrepancy?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax uses a tax rate of 28% on my rental property income. My bracket is at 24%. Thought rent income was taxed as regular income. Any thought for the discrepancy?

Rental income is normally taxed at ordinary tax rates. However, it is possible that your adjusted gross income is to the point where your investment income is being subject to an additional 3.8% net investment income tax. That could account for an additional 3.8% increase in tax when you add your rental income, as it is considered investment income and subject to the net investment income tax.

The income thresholds for when the net investment income tax kicks in is $250,000 for married filing jointly and $200,000 for single filers.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Rental income is normally taxed at ordinary tax rates. However, it is possible that your adjusted gross income is to the point where your investment income is being subject to an additional 3.8% net investment income tax. That could account for an additional 3.8% increase in tax when you add your rental income, as it is considered investment income and subject to the net investment income tax.

The income thresholds for when the net investment income tax kicks in is $250,000 for married filing jointly and $200,000 for single filers.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the prompt response. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies