Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Premier Desktop 2023: unable to upload CSV file for crypto

I have Turbo Tax Premier Desktop 2023 running on Windows 10. It looks like this year they added support for importing your cryptocurrency transactions from a CSV file. I followed the directions and when I import my CSV file TT gives me an error that simply says the CSV upload was unsuccessful -- no other information is given about what is wrong with the CSV file (would be nice for it to tell me and give me some hints on what is wrong with the CSV file).

I created a simple gain/loss CSV file with 1 crypto sale in it to try it out and I can't get it to work (it has all the proper column headers as specified by TT). I also downloaded the TT provided CSV template file (transaction CSV), modified it to have 1 simple transaction and tried to upload that and it also failed in the exact same way.  Some say the transaction CSV is not supported but I tried it anyways just in case.

I used the following link for help on how to upload crypto CSVs -- it clearly specifies it is supported by the TT desktop version, so I should not need to use the online TT version for this:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/cryptocurrency/upload-csv-file-crypto-tr...

PS: I can get this to work by using a TXF file like I did last year but if TT does support importing CSV files for crypto I would rather use that instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Have you considered uploading your crypto information in the TurboTax Investor Center?

The Investor Center can then be used to create a CSV that will upload into TurboTax Desktop Premier.

At this webpage, click on Learn more to the right of TurboTax Investor Center.  At the next page, click Get Started.

I have had some luck with the product.  Let me know how it goes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This does not work for me. TT does not support the different wallets/exchanges I use for crypto.

However, I got the CSV to work by trying a bunch of different things. The CSV format I got to work is as follows, this is a sample .csv text file you can use to import your crypto sell transactions (of course you just have to convert all of your transactions into this format). You can use a regular text file or a .csv file from excel.

Currency Name,Purchase Date,Cost Basis,Date Sold,Proceeds
123 DOGE,2023-01-04,$3000.05,2023-02-03,$2000.35

Notes:

- date format must be: YYYY-MM-DD

- $ is optional

- if amount of crypto in currency name is less than 1, you must prefix it with "0."

TT should update their documentation to properly specify formats like this.

Still not working for me: Current first row I have tested

Currency NamePurchase DateCost BasisDate SoldProceeds
0.3985844 CGLD2023-12-25$0.292023-12-25$0.28

What file type are you using, excel file or simple text file?

Also I tested mine with the TT Premier Desktop 2023 edition. If you are using a different edition, it may work differently there (which it really shouldn't but it is possible).

A few things to try:

- Make sure the file is closed before importing it into TT. I had my file open and TT failed to import it.

- Try using a normal date: MM/DD/YYYY

- Remove the $

- If you are using an excel file, try a simple text file first. This is how I got mine working the first time around.

Thank you so much!!! I closed the file and didn't make any changes and then it worked!

Cool glad it worked!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies