Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax calculates straight line depreciation expense for residential rental incorrectly

Because the depreciation expense amount fluctuated wildly each year, which is against STRAIGHT LINE!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
maglib
Level 11

Turbo tax calculates straight line depreciation expense for residential rental incorrectly

@frank1618   We can not see your return, this is a public forum.  TT calculates depreciation correctly unless there were changes made to default depreciation.  You can review your depreciation details in Forms Asset Wks (residential) and complete by year in Asset Life History.   If you make any improvements you should be entering them as new assets, not adjusting the original home.  The only changes would be in the first year, depending on when asset was place into service.

you would have to attach a copy of the asset depreciation history if you think there is an issue. None are known that I am aware of.  

You do have the ability to change the depreciation method but, if you entered it as residential rental property class I it is 27.5 years

Generally, you must use the Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) to depreciate residential rental property placed in service after 1986.

If you placed rental property in service before 1987, you are using one of the following methods.

• Accelerated Cost Recovery System (ACRS) for property placed in service after 1980 but before 1987.

• Straight line or declining balance method over the useful life of property placed in service before 1981.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

The property was put in rental in 2010.  This should eliminate some variables you mentioned.

I did not change the depreciation to MACRS.

It just does not make sense the depreciation expense amount went up a year, went down significantly another year for Straight Line depreciation!  What and why other factor(s) drove the up and down randomly?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

The depreciation amount under SL follows a mid month convention. So your first year and last year will be different amounts. Check your form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization Report to see the method you chose for the property.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

I went ahead click the Show Details box of the Asset Summary page, here is shat it shows:

Your 2023 estimated expense for this asset is $3,958

Years to fully depreciate:   27.5 years

MACRS Convention:  MM

Depreciation Method:  SL

I'm confused by this information.  My initial intention was to used straight line, and never wanted to use MACRS.  Why you showed me 2 methods, Turbo tax?  How can I tell which method was used?

What are you confused about?

The information provided reflects the correct depreciation method; 27.5 years, SL and MM.

What is the cost basis of the asset and what month did you place it in service in 2010?

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
maglib
Level 11

In my first comment
You can review your depreciation details in Forms Asset Wks (residential) and complete by year in Asset Life History.
Your depreciation may be changing if you are adding additional assets to depreciate…. Or some assets useful life is over but your residential property will have same amount taken every year other than year 1 and last year.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
maglib
Level 11

That is the required depreciation
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies