Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

To take advantage of Tax Loss Harvesting Deductions after reducing Capital Gains Taxes, do you need to use the Itemized Deduction?

Looking to sell some stock to contribute towards a down payment on a house and I want to pay as little in taxes as possible. I am worried, however, that since I usually benefit more from the standard deduction, that I will miss out on the TLH deductions if I don't itemize.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

To take advantage of Tax Loss Harvesting Deductions after reducing Capital Gains Taxes, do you need to use the Itemized Deduction?

Itemizing and capital gains are separate issues so one doesn’t affect the other. If you are expecting significant gains be sure that you have paid enough estimated or withholding tax to cover the gains for federal and, if applicable, state income tax. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I don't know what you mean by a "Tax Loss Harvesting Deduction." There is no such deduction. Tax loss harvesting simply means selling stocks that have declined in value to offset the gain from selling other stocks that have increased in value. The capital losses offset the capital gains when calculating your income. This has nothing to do with using the standard deduction or itemized deductions.

@afsteven0513 simply, your capital losses are netted against your capital gains.  If there are more losses than gains, up to $3000 can be used to reduce your ordinary income.  if there are still dollars remaining, that is a tax loss carry forward and you can use that remaining loss against future gains and up to $3000 against ordinary income. 

as others have stated the losses have nothing to do with itemizing./

Itemizing is Schedule A and Capital Losses are Schedule D

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies