G-P

This year I have a net rental gain, but TT is showing $0 rental income due to passive loss carryover. Do I report $0 income to NC, because Form 8582 will suffice?

I have passive rental losses from previous years that were correctly documented on Form 8582, which was included in my North Carolina non-resident state filing.   This year I have a net rental gain, but TurboTax federal is showing I have "0" rental income due to my passive loss carryover.  Do I report $0 income to NC, because the federal form 8582 will suffice for documentation? If I have $0 income (and therefore owe $0 tax) do I have to file NC taxes at all?

MichaelDC

Yes. Even if you have a rental loss, you should still file a Non-resident NC return to report that loss.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.