turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjfeese

Tax Year Prior to 2020: The program is not letting me file because it states I have "Capital Gains and Losses" even though I don't. I don't have a 1099-B and I didn't sell any stocks/funds

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: The program is not letting me file because it states I have "Capital Gains and Losses" even though I don't. I don't have a 1099-B and I didn't sell any stocks/funds

You may have capital losses carry forwards from previous year(s) that TurboTax wants you to take an action. Check to see whether you have any loss carryovers.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cjfeese

I don't have any carry over either.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Do you have a 1099-R with box 3 filled out? If so, then you  may have to elect to treat this amount as a capital gain on Form 4972 or on Schedule D (Form 1040)

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

@cjfeese You may want to try this out to find out whether there is a carryover worksheet in your return:

Here are the instructions for deleting the form for a Capital Loss Carryover.  

TurboTax Online

1. While in your return, click on Tax Tools > Tools (in the black bar at the side of your screen).  
  2. In the Tools Center, under Other helpful links click on Delete a form.
  3. Click Delete next to Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet and follow the onscreen instructions. 
  4. Once you have finished deleting the desired form(s) click the Continue with My Return box (in the lower right of your screen).

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete.
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies