Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS requested a 1120-S Schedule D form for Capital Gains and Losses. I had 0 capital gains and losses other than normal revenue. Should I answer no on form D?

My C corp does not own any long or short term assets. Should I answer No on the first line of form D and zero out the columns?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
M-MTax
Level 11

The IRS requested a 1120-S Schedule D form for Capital Gains and Losses. I had 0 capital gains and losses other than normal revenue. Should I answer no on form D?

If you do that you should include a letter of explanation.

If you are supplying Schedule D with all zeros, you do not need an explanation.

@starfireconstruc 

Carl
Level 15

I'm just curious. Why do you have an S-Corp if there are no assets to protect?

@Carl wrote:

Why do you have an S-Corp if there are no assets to protect?

Personally owned assets, @Carl. The S corporation is treated as a separate entity completely apart from the shareholders and officers.

Shareholders are not responsible for the debts and liabilities of the corporation so creditors cannot pursue assets owned by the shareholders to satisfy debts of the corporation (unless there is some sort of personal guarantee).

There are other reasons, such as enhanced credibility versus doing business as a sole proprietor and the opportunity to take some of the net profit in distributions rather than W-2 income which is subject to FICA, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies